Thursday, July 9, 2009

911


We followed hubby out in the late afternoon to get some gadgets, propane actually for his new toy, the BBQ pit. As I was unloading Isaac from the carseat to the arms of my MIL, my mobile phone rang. And yes I do carry a mobile here and in case if you are interested the number is +1403-9788817. The phone seldom rings and especially so when the person who calls me most was with me! Here's what was transpired.

Lady : Hello this is 911, I got a call from your mobile phone. Are you alright?

Me : Huh? You did?

Lady : Yup. Was your mobile in the pocket or something?

Me : No. It was in my handbag. Perhaps it was accidentally pressed to 9-1-1.

Lady : Are you in a safe place? Are you okay?

Me : Yes I am. I'm sorry, very sorry.

Lady : No need to apologise. Most importantly you are safe. I shall let you off now. Thanks.

While I was on the line with her, another call came. This time a man called with the same contents and let me off upon confirmation that I was not in distress. I felt so guilty and cannot understand those irresponsible citizens who made calls to 911 when McD gave them the wrong order or when a restaurant's service was not satisfactory. What did they expect 911 to do? All they did was hogging the hotline for genuine callers waiting for help. In my case it was a mystery. My mobile has always been key-locked and the call log showed no record of calls made to 911. Now you tell me!


No comments:

Post a Comment